“I shall tell you what I believe. I believe God is a librarian. I believe that literature is holy...it is that best part of our souls that we break off and give each other, and God has a special dispensation for it, angels to guard its making and its preservation.”
Sarah Smith

Monday, February 21, 2011

A typical sunny summer day going outside to play:

Kids: Mom, can we go out and play?
Me: Sure guys. Have fun!
Kids: Ok, bye!


A typical snowy winter day going outside to play:

Kids: Mom, can we go out and play?
Me: Ugh! (knowing what is about to unfold)
Kids: Please please please please please?!
Me: Alright, go get your stuff on.
Kids: Mom, I can't find my boots! Where are my gloves? Do I have to wear a coat? So-and-so has my hat on and won't give it back! Has anybody seen my other boot?! Mom, will you help me put on my boots and my coat and my gloves and my hat? (Then, after all of these things have been put on...)Wait, Mom, we forgot to put on my snowpants! (And then it all has to come back off.) Where are my boots?!?!etc., etc...

Finally, 10 incredibly aggravating minutes later...

Kids: Bye, Mom!

And 4 minutes later...

(As 3 children walk in the door and all the way through the house looking for me, all taking different paths over hardwood and carpet alike, wearing wet slushy boots, and coats and gloves covered in snow...)
Kids: There's nothing to do out there, and it's too cold!
(As they scatter sopping winter clothing through every room in the house...)
Kids: Now can we have some hot chocolate?

Need I say more?

1 comment:

  1. I've had this exact same experience! But they usually stay outside longer than 10 minutes, so I call that good. :)

    ReplyDelete